This week’s au courant links:
- The Paul Rand backstory. 1
- Two stars slammed into each other & solved half of astronomy’s problems.
- No wonder the Nazis were always in bad moods; they drank nothing but decaf.
- Google continues to be e-vil.
- Firefox Quantum.
- Unsurprisingly, TED grapples with sexual harassment.
- Billionaire destroys news organizations after vote to unionize. 2
- Vantablack: so uncomfortably black the human eye can’t quite decipher what it is seeing.
- Witness in Uranium One ‘scandal’ deemed €˜Unreliable €™ by FBI as informant. 3
- AlphaGo Zero cheat sheet; related here and here.
Word of the Week: Oumuamua, from the Hawaiian: ou.mua.mua, meaning ‘scout’. 4
And finally, how to survive a parachute fail: 5
- Apparently Rand’s a combination of Mr. Wilson and a pussy. ↩
- Original news story. ↩
- ’cause he just makes shit up. ↩
- Egads; let’s hope not. ↩
- Correct, though almost always useless advice; we did jump with a guy (back when we had far more testosterone than common sense) who had both ‘chutes fail. The way he survived was by aiming for a century old barn, which roof he crashed through as though it were made of balsa wood (terminal velocity for a skydiver: Est. 53 m/s; 195 km/h or 122 mph) through the loft (full of moldering hay) and finally into fresher hay on the ground (ouch!) We don’t remember exactly how many bones he broke/shattered, but do recall that he was back on active duty in just under a year. See? Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you, if you’re young at heart… ↩