Before we get to this week’s au courant links, let’s talk rationally about the opioid hysteria sweeping the nation (It’s all the rage!)
The latest published US census was back in 2014; it shows our population at 319,000,000. Surely we’ve bumped that total by a few million bodies, but let’s go ahead and use the 2014 figure. The media, ‘serious’ medical professionals (and Dr. Phil), local governments and general opioid scaremongers are ranting and raving about the yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge epidemic of heroin & prescription drug use, estimating there are now 1,200,0000 users/abusers/addicts in America.
By using our special super powers 1 we were able to devise what the above actually means: a stunning 0.376175548589% of America’s population is now “addicted/using/abusing” opioids/heroine.
Let’s compare that to other “risky behavior”, shall we?
- American smokers – 17.8% (as of 2013)
- American drinkers – 59% regularly, 18.3% binge drinking (as of 2012)
- American TV viewers – 5 to 7 hours a day 2
Moreover 1.3793103448276% of Americans are annually injured or killed in car accidents 3 and the only people up in arms about those deaths are Mothers Against Drunk Driving, who by now are more of an entrenched bureaucracy than anything else, and kick out their annual stats only because that’s what keeps the cash coming in.
Seriously, there must be something else going on. We wonder who 4 would have an interest in promoting such a scare?
This week’s au courant links:
- CCRB, meant to protect citizens from police, instead protects police for citizens.
- Adding phone number to Google account can make it less safe.
- Complete November 8th sample ballots and all Kansas and Missouri election issues can be found here.
- NASA draws down 6.5 gB of data from Mars…3 billion miles away.
- The new MacBook pros are difficult/expensive to repair/upgrade. 5
- Corporate rule; who voted for this shit, anyway?
- Why LEO GPS satellites black out over the equator.
- LVPD continues to use faulty drug kits ’cause…convictions!
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals says even president can’t legalize torture. 6
- How to commandeer that drone videoing you tanning your massive subcutaneous fat.
- On destroying tumors.
- ACLU files to force government to publish 23 surveillance laws now secret.
- Leading U.S. NGOs call for drug decriminalization.
- Either Netflix’s CEO knows something we don’t or he’s already taking the drugs he’s predicting.
And finally, looking for Sir Gawain and the Green Knight:
- 5th grade math skills. ↩
- If you don’t think watching TV is risky, you haven’t seen what’s on the boob tube lately; that hideously garish orange monster alone is enough to petrify the children. ↩
- Many of these accidents also involve smoking, drinking, opioid use, and those fucking cell phones that no one seems capable of stowing away while driving. ↩
- Can you say “DEA“? Sure you can…. ↩
- Duh! ↩
- Time to seriously press the case for prosecuting Shrub and The Dark Lord. ↩