The KC Royals: WTF?
At this point there’s no way the KC Royals don’t grab a wild card spot; not even Wal-Mart Boy or Ned “I’m New to the Game” Yost can screw this up now.
Last night I dared the dark realm of the hallway closet to retrieve my ancient Royals jersey. You know the one: plain white with blue piping, right? My name on the back over the number 5. 1 I figure to wear it a minimum 4 games 2, the first time that particular flag has fluttered in October since the Game 7 rout in ’85.
29 years? Has it really been that long since the Royals were anywhere near relevant? It seems at once longer and but the blink of an eye – the mind is funny that way. In fact, though some events from 1985 stand out in sharp relief –Ronnie Raygun (yet another American president obsessed with Iraq) had a shitpile of TOWs delivered to Iran, the Philly PD air-bombed a freaking neighbourhood, Michael Jackson bought the entire Beatles catalogue for a song and a car bomb in Lebanon killed a couple hundred folks — others occurrences have faded away.
- 25,000 people died when Nevado del Ruiz erupted
- We were introduced to Gorby
- Mexico City was hit by a massive earthquake killing over 9,000
- NEW Coke was introduced 3
- We Are The World was released
- Something called Duran Duran was inexplicably popular
- Mad Max endured yet another desert diaspora
- Wilfred Brimley was relevant for the first and last time
- Five years late the FDA approved a test for AIDS
- The Brits discovered the hole in our ozone layer
- CDs were introduced 4
- M$ released Windows 1.0
- The first .com domain name is registered: symbolics.com
- Ronnie Raygun announced his Star Wars effort
- A gallon of gas went for about $1.09
- Bacon was $1.67 a pound
- USPS stamps (still relevant back then, kids!) went for 22 cents each
Damn that was depressing; to hell with looking back.
30 years from now, someone remind me not to do another what we were like post.
And to get a new jersey – I expect this one will be in tatters then.