A friend called yesterday evening 1, and without so much as a “Hello” or “How’s it hangin’?” or even a guttural “Wassup?”, began to berate me for a.) not being on Twitter2, and b.) my belief that the Stanford Cardinals should be in the BCS Championship Bowl 3 over OSU. 4
“Look,” my exasperated friend said. “It’s not like you’re a gawddamned student there. Plus CU has become the PAC-12’s biatch; why would you support Stanford?” 5
I explained to my buddy that as much as I love talking college football trash, and Bevo IX football trash in particular, I actually am a Stanford student, thank you very much, and that his rude late night call with his ill advised opinions about a buncha inbred Oakies could wait for another time.
Or something very much to that effect. In any event he ended the call 6 and I went back to my class.
All for free.
I highly recommend these courses, and M.I.T.’s: many of you out there are confused as to what comprises actual technological progress, as opposed to design advancement. Yes, social media types, I’m talking to you; I would especially steer you toward a CS101 course. 8
What’s it going to get in the way of? Twitter? Or those late night phone calls you’re so fond of?
- A tad late in my opinion: what is it with holidays and late night phone calls? ↩
- Actually, I do have an active Twitter account; I simply don’t use it after the manner of the majority. Which did not stop 007 from following me for a week. No, I didn’t cite Ian Flemming or any Bond film. Yeah, I know; go figure. ↩
- This belief, of course, is dependent upon both LSU and Stanford winning out. ↩
- At no time in the conversation, by tacit agreement, were Alabama or Arkansas mentioned. And, yes, in a perfect world Houston should be a lock. But also in a perfect world all Div 1-A schools would be part of a conference comprised of no more that 12 schools and play no more than 9 games plus a conference championship game. The winner of the conference championships would then play a single-elimination tournament with the remaining university crowned National Champions. However, as underwear-buying Kevin Costner discovered, this is not a perfect world. Get over it – Houston ain’t gonna be considered. ↩
- That last part? About CU becoming the town pump of the Pac-12 is undeniably true. Sad, but true. But I expect we’ll get better. Unlike, say, Kansas. Or K-State, once Bill dies. ↩
- Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal! ↩
- Brain surgery. So if you have a brain tumor? DM me, let’s talk. ↩
- Logtar posted something interesting on the topic just this week. ↩